The sixth Fast and the Furious action movie comes out today and I thought it would be a great time to rank the ones that have already been released. This is a series that doesn’t always put a number in its titles so the only real way to tell the order is through the dates, which I’ve included.
5. The Fast and the Furious – Tokyo Drift (2006). Although the film is a little fun, the music continues to get better, and the drifting is more fun than drag racing it doesn’t live up to the original. Suddenly we’re following around high schoolers who look like they’ve been held back for ages? No, it just doesn’t work for a racing movie. Not only are we suddenly stuck with teenagers but we get a silly teenage romance mixed with even worse ‘adult’ drama to make them seem more grown up. It just doesn’t work. With none of the cast from the original two films returning they shouldn’t have tried to put out this one. Luckily, they got better again once the originals came back. The most puzzling part? Han (the only good character from this film) is in films 4, 5, and now 6. In both 4 and 5 they referenced Han going to Tokyo but he’s back again, so I guess he hasn’t made it to his death yet? How far in the future is Tokyo Drift? 4.5/10
4. The Fast and the Furious (2001) is an introduction to some of the main characters and story lines that are brought up throughout the series making it an important entry in this popular franchise. Surprisingly I realized I had barely seen this first one before sitting down to watch all of them for this list. I love Vin Diesel and Paul Walker in the whole series, so it’s no surprise I enjoy them in this one. Unfortunately, being made in 2001 it shows it’s age. It’s fun to watch but I don’t have a desire to rewatch as I do for some of the others. The music is plain bad and the style and language is out of date. Luckily they got the cars right, even if they’re a little old now. Yes, I do understand they can’t always be in style. 5/10
3. 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003) was better than the first. This is the movie from the franchise that I see most often, it’s always the one on TV and I think this one really set up the series more than the original. They got rid of the drag races and brought in circuitous races with surprises. The music is much better, perhaps in part due to bringing Ludacris into the cast. Although Vin Diesel isn’t in this one Ludacris is a lot of fun and Tyrese Gibson is a great sidekick to Walker. The storyline is also much better than the first, instead of deceiving Walker’s friend (Diesel), he’s working with a friend to defeat the bad guys. Generally it was more enjoyable, but I really wish they’d stop using the surfer slang. Did people really talk like that in 2003? 6/10
2. Fast & Furious (2009) is a newer, better version of the first film. This incorporates more backstory than the second movie as we get the Diesel/Walker pairing again but without them starting off as best friends. I love that FBI/criminal dynamic as they repair their friendship and as Walker repairs his relationship with Diesel’s sister. Better music, faster cars, and more exciting races all aid in making this better than those before it, and when Walker doesn’t talk like a surfer boy it makes me even happier. 6.5/10
1. Fast Five (2011) was definitely my favourite movie of this franchise. Apart from Tokyo Drift which was awful other than Han this series continues to get better with each entry. Admittedly, this one also had so many returning members I couldn’t contain myself. I love that they keep pushing Tokyo Drift farther into the future so Han doesn’t have to be dead yet. Immediately upon seeing him and the other unattached girl I wanted them together, and Dwayne Johnson is always a great addition to action movies. I loved the way they set this one in another country without trying to make it another version of America, as Tokyo Drift did. Basically, this was the most fun, exciting, awesome movie of the franchise so far, and I’m excited to see where the sixth film takes it. Also, Walker/Brewster babies? Yes please! 8/10
Fast & Furious 6 opens for wide release today, May 24, so be sure to check it out! PS, Jason Statham has been confirmed for Fast 7!