Film editing is part of the post-production process that involves creatively cutting together each shot into cohesive sequences that make up the final product. This aspect of film production can drastically effect the emotional reception of an actor’s performance and change the pacing of a film. This is an important category for Best Picture indications, as no winner of Best Picture has not at least been nominated in this category since 1981 (furthermore, 16 of 32 have gone on to win).
We expect Gravity will be sweeping these technical categories, so it will be no surprise when Cuaron and Sanger step up to the podium to accept this award. The only film with a good shot at stealing this away is Captain Phillips as it recently won the ACE Eddie.
- “Gravity” — Alfonso Cuaron, Mark Sanger
- “Captain Phillips” — Christopher Rouse
- “12 Years a Slave”– Joe Walker
- “American Hustle” — Jay Cassidy, Crispin Struthers and Alan Baumgarten
- “Dallas Buyers Club” — John Mac McMurphy and Martin Pensa