Jared Leto seems like the clear winner in this category for his performance as Rayon, a transgender AIDs patient, in Dallas Buyers Club. His portrayal was spectacular, the standout performance of DBC. He’s been picking up the award at most shows so far, but recently Barkhad Abdi won for his debut role in Captain Phillips but neither Leto nor Hill were nominated.
Indiewire looks at Michael Fassbender’s jarring portrayal of Master Epps in 12 Years a Slave as the should win and I can’t say I disagree. A hard role for anybody to portray, Fassbender gave a nuanced performance as this horrible slaveowner with more than just one note.
- Jared Leto — “Dallas Buyers Club”
- Michael Fassbender — “12 Years a Slave”
- Barkhad Abdi — “Captain Phillips”
- Bradley Cooper — “American Hustle”
- Jonah Hill — “The Wolf of Wall Street”