The shorts are some of the trickier categories for most people to predict as almost no one gets to see these films, unless they are lucky enough to find them played together at a local film festival. Each film has a link to their trailer, so you’ll get some sense of what each is like.
- Boogaloo and Graham (Michael Lennox and Ronan Blaney) follows the story of two boys given chickens by their father and develop a strong attachment to them who are then told they must get rid of them as their mother is pregnant.
- The Phone Call (Mat Kirkby and James Lucas) focuses on a woman working a crisis phone line, and a man who calls in. From the trailer, this one doesn’t seem as good as Boogaloo, but it seems to be a front runner in the eyes of those having seen the nominees.
- Aya (Oded Binnun and Mihal Brezis) is an Israeli film about a woman picking up a man at an airport.
- Butter Lamp (Hu Wei and Julien Féret) seems to be people taking photos in front of different backdrops.
- Parvaneh (Talkhon Hamzavi and Stefan Eichenberger) follows a female refugee who escapes to a Swiss city to send money to her family.