The Imitation Game looked like the frontrunner for a while, but American Sniper, Whiplash, and The Theory of Everything each have the potential to upset. With Sniper’s strong showing in the nominations this year it may have strong appeal for the voters, Whiplash is a powerhouse, and Theory picked up the BAFTA for British Film over Imitation. Although we’ve still placed Imitation on top, any of 2 through 4 could pull out the win. The only film that is a bit out of place this year is Anderson’s Inherent Vice. Shockingly Gone Girl and Gillian Flynn aren’t in the nominations, but they certainly should have taken Vice‘s place.
- Graham Moore (The Imitation Game) – first nomination
- Anthony McCarten (The Theory of Everything) – two nominations this year
- Jason Hall (American Sniper) – first nomination
- Damien Chazelle (Whiplash) – first nomination
- Paul Thomas Anderson (Inherent Vice) – sixth nomination, no wins