Boyhood was put together beautifully by Linklater, with enough of the script planned out to give the actors a guide each year while still allowing for diversity through the changes of the actors and the world from year to year. However, this is in a real three way race with both Birdman and Budapest. With the recent BAFTAs win for Budapest it seems this may get the statue for screenplay and then bow out for Best Picture. Despite all of this, we would love for Nightcrawler to win for the tightly wound script that is both convoluted and quick to the point.
- Wes Anderson (The Grand Budapest Hotel) – sixth nomination
- Richard Linklater (Boyhood) – fifth nomination
- Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, Armando Bo (Birdman) – fifth nomination for Inarritu, first for the other men
- Dan Gilroy (Nightcrawler) – first nomination
- E. Max Frye, Dean Futterman (Foxcatcher) – Frye’s first nomination, Futterman’s second nomination