It’s Christmastime once again, and as always Netflix has created a Holiday Favourites section on their site. Unfortunately, there’s a lot of crap on there, so we’re hear to sift through all of that and find the best options for your Christmas evening.
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas. There’s the classic animated version, and then the Jim Carrey adaptation. Personally, I really enjoy Carrey’s live action edition as the world is developed so much more fully and you get a look at way more of the Whoville characters.
- The Legend of Frosty the Snowman. Just like the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer movie, it’s a classic. You basically have to watch it every year. Unfortunately, Rudolph isn’t on Netflix so I can’t watch my favourite unless I find it on TV, but this is a good backup.
- Nightmare Before Christmas. Some disagree whether this is a Christmas or Halloween movie, but why not watch it for both?
- Arthur Christmas. Animated movies are certainly stealing this list, but that’s more because Netflix is lacking in the best movies than anything else. This is a fun, recent film that the kids will enjoy and parents won’t get annoyed by.
- Christmas with the Kranks. Admittedly not fantastic, but it’s a fun modern adaptation of Dickens’ Christmas Carol. We all get frustrated with the Christmas hype sometimes, so why not revel in it.
Netflix doesn’t have a big list of Christmas movies, and most of them aren’t that great. Hopefully you have Love Actually and Die Hard, my two personal favourites, and can round out a good Christmas movie night.