Tonight was the night everybody had anxiously been awaiting… the night of Leo’s Oscar gold. Did it happen? Was there an upset so the memes could continue? Thankfully, he won. But that wasn’t the only big moment of the night.
Chris Rock’s opening monologue was full of laughs. It was basically just a 15 minute special, and it was GOLD. Some of his comments were so intensely accurate, it was shocking. After his monologue, it went a bit downhill as he continued with one joke the entire night. PLEASE, Academy, consider checking in on the jokes and I can easily add him to my favourites from the past few years: Neil Patrick Harris, Hugh Jackman, and Seth MacFarlane.
Many of the presenters were awkward, but there were a few good ones. They tried some new movement with their camera shots, traveling around on stage and panning through the actors… I really wish they wouldn’t try stuff like this when it doesn’t look good in rehearsal.
It was an impressive night for Mad Max: Fury Road, racking up the most wins at 6 but The Revenant picked up Best Actor for Leo and Best Director for Iñárritu. However, Spotlight picked up the biggest award, Best Picture.
- Picture – Spotlight
- Actor – Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
- Actress – Brie Larson, Room
- Supporting Actor – Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
- Supporting Actress – Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
- Director – Alejandro González Iñárritu, The Revenant
- Animated – Inside Out
- Foreign Film – Son of Saul
- Adapted Screenplay – The Big Short
- Original Screenplay – Spotlight
- Cinematography – The Revenant
- Film Editing – Mad Max: Fury Road
- Documentary Short – A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness
- Documentary Feature – Amy
- Live Action Short – Stutterer
- Animated Short – Bear Story
- Original Song – Writings on the Wall by Sam Smith, Spectre
- Score – The Hateful Eight
- Costume – Mad Max: Fury Road
- Hair/Makeup – Mad Max: Fury Road
- Sound Mixing – Mad Max: Fury Road
- Sound Editing – Mad Max: Fury Road
- Production Design – Mad Max: Fury Road
- Visual Effects – Ex Machina