I never realized how few shows I watch in the horror and thriller genres, until I started compiling this list and wasn’t able to fill it out with what I watch regularly. However it’s October, and the perfect time to get started in a new show (or three).
- American Horror Story. Not all seasons have been stellar, but overall it’s a great watch. The first seasons felt so different from what was previously on American TV (the shorter season, the serialized horror, and the intense, multi-dimensional characters and plots). With a new season on right now, it’s the perfect show to get you ready for Halloween.
- Penny Dreadful. It’s a period piece, sensationalist fiction, and some of the best horror on TV. Enter into the world of Dr. Frankenstein and Vanessa Ives.
- Hannibal. Not exactly horror, but definitely a psychological thriller. This is beautifully created and really delves into the inner workings of its characters.
- Masters of Horror. Bringing some of the best horror directors into each episode, this anthology series knows how to scare, intrigue, and sometimes completely terrify.
- Scream. I always loved the original movies, and this MTV/Netflix series is a great renewal of the classic. We get some of the same play on genre conventions as in the movies, but it also takes itself more seriously and tries to become a real scary entry. For a full review of the second season, check out my Random Netflix TV Night coming out later this month!
Are there any shows I missed? Let me know on Twitter @reviewsbylauren or in the comments below what shows I should check out next!