Certain scary movies work better for Halloween than others. My list usually has a lot of nostalgia, the movies I loved or got scared by when I was younger are big here. Plus, silly movies that you can play a drinking game? They are perfect here.
- Scream. Honestly, this is one of my favourite scary movies of all time, and it’s just perfect for this time of year. As a whole, the series is a lot of fun and can last you a full weekend of enjoyable whodunnit mayhem. Was it possible for the killers to actually commit each of the crimes and get to their next position in the chase? No, but that’s the fun.
- Halloween (original). So there’s a couple movies after the first that are good (H20), but it’s much more difficult to find good ones so why not stick to the classic. Even after seeing this almost every year, it still gets me every time.
- It Follows. The newest movie on this list, it’s also one of the best scary movies from the past five years. Maybe that’s an exaggeration, depending on the type of horror you like, but this was exactly what I wanted. A constant sense of dread, a few intense jump scares, and a lack of traumatizing gore.
- The Ring. Bit of an odd choice but this movie scared me so much after first watching, that I couldn’t go into the basement for almost a month. And occasionally, it would still give me a scare years later. I don’t know why (I didn’t even watch it in a basement!) but this just freaked.me.out. And there’s a new Rings movie coming out soon…yikes!
- Sleepy Hollow. Johnny Depp and Tim Burton made a great pair in this one. It’s a fun Ichabod Crane tale that allows Depp to reinvent the character and Burton to orchestrate a mad horror-mystery.
What are your favourite movies to watch for Halloween? Let me know in the comments below, or on Twitter @reviewsbylauren