A good screenplay is pivotal for a movie to succeed. It not only creates the script but provides instructions for actors, cinematographers, production designers, and more.
Our predictions and further analysis are below:
Just like with adapted screenplay, I would normally expect the Best Picture frontrunner in the category to win – but it’s a little different here. Musicals like La La Land don’t commonly win here, even if they end up as Best Picture winners. And once Moonlight and Loving were moved from the original to adapted category, it really opened up for a battle between La La Land and Manchester by the Sea. If voters don’t get swept up in the spectacle of this stunning musical (and about Hollywood, nonetheless!) then it could easily go to Manchester by the Sea.
- “Manchester by the Sea,” by Kenneth Lonergan
- “La La Land,” by Damien Chazelle
- “Hell or High Water,” by Taylor Sheridan
- “20th Century Women,” Mike Mills
- “The Lobster,” by Efthymis Filippou and Yorgos Lanthimos
Who do you think will win? Tweet us @reviewsbylauren!