Sound editors create and collect all the sounds needed for a film. When filming scenes, it’s all about capturing the dialogue—not the ambient noise that makes the movie world seem real. This year is pretty competitive this year with an open field. First Man is visceral, as A Quiet Place was uniquely all about the sounds in this silent thriller.
- “First Man,” Ai-Ling Lee, Mildred Iatrou Morgan
- “A Quiet Place,” Ethan Van der Ryn, Erik Aadahl
- “Black Panther,” Benjamin A. Burtt, Steve Boeddeker
- “Bohemian Rhapsody,” John Warhurst
- “Roma,” Sergio Diaz, Skip Lievsay