Spike Lee’s BlacKkKlansman seems to have the best support behind it, followed closely by the heroic Black Planter. Blanchard combined jazz, symphony, and R&B influences to create the feel of the 1970s through his score. Goransson went to Africa to study Senegalese music for his inspired Black Panther score. Although I would love to see Black Panther pick up this category, Blanchard seems to be the pick.
- “BlacKkKlansman,” Terence Blanchard
- “Black Panther,” Ludwig Goransson
- “Isle of Dogs,” Alexandre Desplat
- “If Beale Street Could Talk,” Nicholas Britell
- “Mary Poppins Returns,” Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman