The most frequent winners in this category are the period pieces and fantasy epics. This year, we have a few top contenders vying for the statuette.
Black Panther stunned audiences with futuristic research centres, hidden African kingdoms, and well-researched, inventive creations. Roma focused on the 70s, First Man on the 60s, Mary Poppins on the Depression era, while The Favourite took on an 18th-century royal court. This year, it seems Black Panther has the best chance.
- “Black Panther,” Hannah Beachler
- “Roma,” Eugenio Caballero, Bárbara Enrı́quez
- “The Favourite,” Fiona Crombie, Alice Felton
- “First Man,” Nathan Crowley, Kathy Lucas
- “Mary Poppins Returns,” John Myhre, Gordon Sim