We have a strong animated category this year, including 2 Disney nominations in Zootopia and Moana alongside Studio Ghibli’s co-produced The Red Turtle. There are also two stop-motion animated picks from Kubo and the Two Strings, which picked up the statuette at the BAFTAs against both of Disney’s picks, and My Life as a Zucchini.
Animated shorts allow for engaging, unique storylines and inventive forms of animation. Disney and Pixar are always tough competition in this category – nominated every year for the past six, winning twice – but they have some seriously creative competition.
Growing up, one of my favourite things about Halloween was sitting down and watching lots of movies. Of course, they’re not actually scary anymore but the nostalgia is still there.
It seems pretty obvious this year that Pixar’s Inside Out will leave the night with an award from this category. Despite Anomalisa‘s beauty, it just doesn’t stand a… Read more “Best Animated Feature”
We Can’t Live Without Cosmos is a delightful story of two best friends and cosmonauts-in-training. By Konstantin Bronzit, a two time nominee, this is the biggest competition… Read more “Best Animated Short”
It’s Christmastime once again, and as always Netflix has created a Holiday Favourites section on their site. Unfortunately, there’s a lot of crap on there, so we’re… Read more “Top Five: Best Christmas Netflix Movies”
Disney Animation is probably going to pick up the win this year with Frozen, as its only real competition is The Wind Rises which won for best foreign film at the Golden Globes. Since Hayao Miyazaki has retracted his retirement plans, his film probably won’t pick up the win over the commercial and critical success of Disney’s Frozen.
- “The Wind Rises”
- “Ernest & Celestine”
- “Despicable Me 2″
- “The Croods”
Classic Disney resurfaces with Get a Horse!, the short film before Frozen including original Mickey Mouse voiced by Walt Disney. Despite the incredible beauty of Feral, there’s a slim chance anything will beat Disney’s 3D entry.
- Get a Horse! – A look back at classic Disney. Mickey, Minnie, Horace Horsecollar, and Clarabelle Cow venture together until Peg-Leg Pete gets in their way. In one of the best uses of 3D, this is a sure bet to win.
- Feral – One of the most uniquely beautiful animated shorts of the year, a wild boy found in the woods is brought into civilization where he is alienated due to his coping strategies.
- Mr. Hublot – This withdrawn man must deal with having to share his home with the intrusion of Robot Pet.
- Room on the Broom – A witch allows multiple animals on her broom when a dragon attacks.
- Possessions – Dazzling Miyazaki-like imagery triumphs as a man comes across a small shrine where things come to life due to spirits in the area.
One of my favourite categories at the Oscars is Best Animated Picture. It’s easily the most fun category because it’s all about which kids movie was best.… Read more “Oscar Nominations: Animated Picture”
One of the categories I never know what I’m voting for is the animated shorts. They always look so interesting and I wish I would know what… Read more “Oscar Nominations: Animated Shorts”